Becoming Road

Becoming Road

Saturday, August 3, 2013

...little {WAVES}





 
SWIM LESSONS:  Little Wave II Class
Nyah loved it!
Ethan braved it!
Both grew immensely with their comfort level in the water.
Alexa, their teacher was one of Marty's old students.  She recognized the kids right away from pictures he had in the seminary classroom!  She was very sweet and challenged them both to try hard things.  So proud of them both......
 
I was able to share some of my thoughts about Ethan's swimming experience in a talk I gave in sacrament meeting about a week later.  Some precious truths came alive for me while I studied a very special conference talk given by our General Primary President, The Words We Speak.  I shared the following experience:
 
 During each swim lesson Ethan consistently made eye contact with me in need of reassurance and praise.  I was his cheerleader.  Luckily for me, a few months ago my phone was lost and we had not yet replaced it.  I didn't have anything to distract me from what my little Ethan needed at that moment.  I did notice many moms with their devices while their little ones had their swim lessons.  And to be honest,....their children probably didn't need them.  But for me,  I was grateful that I didn't have that distraction so that I could be there for Ethan.  When his fear started to overtake him, I was looking on from the sidelines with words of encouragement and big thumbs up when he did something brave.  I was able to enjoy his little triumphs along with him as he would exit the water with a huge grin after attempting to do things that were very frightening for him.  I could tell, he was so grateful I had witnessed it and shared that moment with him!  Had I been sending that one text or checking my email, i would have lost that opportunity.  It seems small,...but to both of us, it was a cherished moment we shared! 

 I love what President Gordon B. Hinckley had to say about our precious children:  "Behold your little ones. Pray with them. Pray for them and bless them. The world into which they are moving is a complex and difficult world. They will run into heavy seas of adversity. They will need all the strength and all the faith you can give them while they are yet near you!"
 I was so grateful to share these moments with my children as they stretched and faced their fears! 
·        

No comments:

Post a Comment